Started in 1954 by Wilhelm Schafer, Schafer’s muffler and brake was started as a small repair garage in its original location on hunting park ave, rebuilding starters and alternators. In 1975 they moved to their next location on Whitaker and Luzerne in the north Philadelphia area of Philadelphia.
In the upcoming years Schafer’s would slowly but gradually expand in the field of automotive repair and by 1962 opened its first full service repair facility. Schafer’s would stay a small one location branch until 1990 when they purchased a second location in south Philadelphia in a shopping plaza at the corner of Delaware ave and tasker St. Together the two locations thrived in the fast moving and ever changing automotive field.
In 2002 Schafer’s made the decision to purchase an old truck repair facility on Columbus Blvd. and Snyder ave. with 8800 sq. feet the decision was made to close down the Whitaker and Luzerne location and combine the two into the new location.
With the automotive business coming into the 21st century Schafer’s moved up to a full complete service repair center, ranging in everything from oil changes and tire repairs to full advanced diagnostics and engine repairs, as well as maintenance in every category, since opening the current location in 2002 the business has been at the forefront of the automotive repair field constantly changing and updating to meet the standards of today’s cars and although faces have changed, and people come and go this family owned and operated business is set out to achieve the best level of custom service and satisfaction possible.
Today the shop is home to 7 full access bays along with a full size heavy duty truck lift and expertly trained ASE master technicians to meet any and all issues of vehicles from yesterday today and of course tomorrow.